Religious Education takes place within the context of the Christian aims and ethos of St Peters CE School (& Nursery) as reflected by our Mission Statement.
The Governors at St Peter’s have agreed that the school will follow the SDBE scheme of work. Other religions studied are Islam and Judaism in Key Stage 1, Hinduism and Sikhism in lower Key Stage 2 and Islam in upper Key Stage 2.
Aims of Religious Education
Religious Education should help children:
- To increase and develop children’s knowledge and understanding of the Christian faith, it’s beliefs’ scriptures, traditions and festivals.
- Foster attitudes of respect, responsibility and reflect upon moral and personal issues enabling them to be sympathetic towards others.
- Enhance their understanding and knowledge of religions and spirituality and explore their faith, beliefs and ideas.
- Explain issues such as the meaning of life in the local community and the wider world.
- To increase and develop children’s knowledge and understanding of other major world faiths.