- Unit plans (see curriculum overview) for PE are taught throughout St Peter’s by a specialist higher level teaching assistant (HLTA). The plans cover athletics, games, gymnastics, outdoor adventurous activities and multiskills. In addition they cover the non cognitive skills of teamwork, interdependence, competition and resilience. In addition we offer the following:
- Swimming – Year 3 children have two terms a year (Autumn and Spring) of weekly swimming lessons at the Castle Leisure centre in SE1. Year 6 have one term a year of swimming (Summer term) where we ensure children by the end of Key Stage 2 can swim competently, over a distance of at least 25 metres; using a range of strokes effectively; and performing safe self-rescue.
- Football club – two extra curricular football clubs are run (for Y1-3 and Y4-6) which enables children from across the school regardless of ability to participate.
- PESSN PE and sporting opportunities – throughout the year all children have access to a wide range of competitions and festivals and teachers also have access to ongoing professional development beyond the ongoing work described above.
- For further detail please see our PE and sports premium action plan.